I have a hard time slowing down and moving out of the way.
Most entrepreneurs, business owners, pastors and high D personalties would agree.
I wrote about slowing down here.
That experience led to a book called Go Small.
My twitter feed blew up over this video yesterday.
Here are my thoughts:
- Mark quit before he got fired which was step one of his comeback tour. It is always easier to walk away before you are asked to leave.
- He talks a lot about the hard times “he has had” and his family and asks for prayer. Ok. That is fair,if at the same time he could take some ownership for why this is happening. Did he ask for prayer for once for his church that he started and is going through hell right now having to shut down campus and figure it out? Did he ask for prayer for the countless number of people who have already lost their jobs or have been actually hurt? Throwing rocks at Mark’s windows just shatters glass. Marks words and actions shattered lives what about those people?
- He is there to learn and pray. IN THE FRONT ROW! I have yet to see Mark really be humbled in this whole process and that is why I still can’t sit back and watch all these praises online and on stages from pastors who just praise this guy. He can’t stay away from the limelight and if he is not on the stage has to sit front row steps away from the stage. I don’t get it.
- If life is so awful for you and your family, what the heck are you doing in Dallas away from everyone who needs you now. You don’t have a job. You don’t need to learn more because we know you know everything about the Bible so go be with your family or knocking on the doors of the people you hurt asking for forgiveness.
- Where were all his “good friends” for the past 10 years. I love it how many pastors including this one step up now and say he is such a good friend but did you turn a blind eye to everything this guy has done for the past 10 years. Where are the old friends if Mark had any that have been speaking into his life for years. Has Mark pushed all those away in exchange for new friends that will clearly welcome him back and invite him up on stage. I have seen far to many key leaders lack any real friendships with people who will really speak truth into their life. A “good” friend would not encourage Mark to sit front row in his conference and invite this guy up on stage. I don’t buy these friendships we boast about online.
- Get Rid of @PastorMark twitter. Exchange @PastorMark for @Dadof5Mark and stop trying to still be someone you are not. Lose the title, the big bible, the microphone, the conferences and just take a break. Go away somewhere safe. Make real relationship with people who won’t exploit you and just learn how to engage with real friends and real community.
- Apologize and stay silent. You resigned and left your post and would be great to just let your church move forward without you and stop trying to make people feel sorry for you.
The great thing is that everyone loves the comeback story. We seem to shy away from the guy who stayed out of trouble and just lived a simple life. In the church world, we love the guy who had it all, lost it and then gets it all back. I have no doubt you will be back. People will pack it in to see you just like the did with Swaggart, Haggard, Benny Hinn and so many others but for now I would just say slow down and move out of the way.
I wasn’t forced to do this like Mark not because of my bad choices but because of my health. I fought it like Mark did and eventually caved in because I feared for my life and the thought of not being around for my family. It was a difficult season but one that I needed. One that I am glad I did.
Here is a clip of me talking about it:
I don’t hate Mark. I know you might read this post and think I am just mean and cruel. I am not that mean but I do think in situations like Mark’s we focus too much on Mark and too little on the rest of the people. I think the Bible is clear that you reap what you sow and when that happens all I can say is what did Mark expect would happen to him?
I hope he learns from it and he can step out and move out of the way for a season and see what he might learn.